I am, and they will write je suis.
Je = I Nous - we
Tu = you (1 person familiar) Vous = you (either 1 person formal
or many people familiar or
many people formal)
Il = he Ils = they (only boys or boys and girls)
Elle = she Elles = they (only girls)
Pronouns are words that replace nouns:
- John is replaced by the pronoun "he" = il
- Mary is replaced by she = elle
- John and Mary are replaced by they = ils if it is boys and boys and girls;elles if it is only girls
- John and I are replaced by we = nous
- John and you are replaced by you all = vous
Monica, tu est une édudiante? = Monica, are you a student?
This question is directed at Monica, as can be seen by the comma after her name, and the use of "you" in the question.
Monica is replaced with the pronoun you. or tu
If we were talking about Monica, then she would be replaced by the pronoun she. and the question would look like this:
Monica est une étudiante? = Is Monica a student?
In this case Monica would be replaced by she = elle
Verb être = to be
Je suis Nous sommes
Tu es Vous êtes
Il est Ils sont
Elle est Elles sont